Malcolm Macleod, 35 Bayhead Street, Stornoway

The deepest sympathy goes out to Mr and Mrs William Macleod and family in the loss of their son, private Malcolm Macleod, Scottish Rifles, who has laid down his life before reaching his 19th year. Keen to serve in the war, young Macleod joined up in Glasgow and in his impatience to be at the front got himself drafted for foreign service after only three months' training. After a fortnight at the base, he was sent into the firing line and on his second day in the trenches was severely wounded in the head, arms and legs. Writing his mother on 23rd January [1917], the Sister-in-Charge of the 2/2 London Casualty Clearing Station said: "He is very dangerously ill, and we are anxious about him. I know how anxious you will be, and will let you know how he goes". Next day she wrote: "I have to send you the saddest news of your son. He became quite unconscious yesterday, and passed away early this morning (2.30 am). He will be laid to rest in the Grovetown Military Cemetery, and there will be a cross to mark his resting place. I do not think he suffered; he slept all the time. With sincere sympathy."
Pte Macleod, as stated, was a son of Mr William Macleod, merchant, Cromwell Street, who has another son, Norman, serving in the Seaforth in an eastern theatre of the war.

The Supreme Sacrifice
It is our sad duty this week to add another name to the many from this district who have died on behalf of their country - Pte Malcolm Macleod, son of Mr William Macleod , merchant, Cromwell Street, Stornoway. Pte Macleod joined the Scottish Rifles ten months ago, and after his training had been completed was drafted to France. He was only one week in the trenches when he was so severely wounded that he died soon after in the Field Hospital. Pte Macleod was only 19 years of age. Writing to Pte Macleod's mother, the Chaplain says:
"Doubtless, you have already heard the distressing news of the death of your gallant son, who was admitted to the casualty clearing station suffering severe injuries to the head and legs, caused by a shell. He was unconscious and despite all that could be done, passed away in a few hours at two o'clock on the morning of 24th January. His loss will be heard to bear. May God give you grace and patience to bear it bravely. Your grief may, in justice to your noble boy, be mingled with pride that he was willing to give his life for homa nd country. We laid him to rest reverently and with full military honours in "Grovetown" military cemetery here. Please accept my deepest sympathy".
Pte Macleod was born at Dunreay, Canada, where his father farmed his own land for many years before returning to his native island.

From the Roll of Honour
Keen to serve in the war, he joined up in Glasgow and got himself drafted for foreign service after only 3 months' training. After a fortnight at the Base he was sent into the firing line, and on his second day in the trenches was mortally wounded 

No comments:

Post a Comment