John Macleod, Croy, Callanish

Pte John Macleod, Croy, Callanish, was called up at the beginning of the war, and joined the Cameron Highlanders. He was continuously on foreign service for over three years, and went through much hard fighting. On 27th December 1917 he was killed in action. Much sympathy has been shown to his sorrowing parents and relatives in their sad bereavement. One of Pte Macleod's chums, writing to his sister says:
"I am extremely sorry to tell you that your brother was killed on 27th December by an explosive shell while on duty. I know this will be a severe blow to the parents and relatives, and I must tell you that I also feel it very keenly. John and I were always the best of friends, and I miss him more than words can express. He was an exceedingly fine lad, and was much like by the company." Another comrade writes:
"I can assure you your brother was a friend to be treasured; his kindness and generosity were beyond words. His cheerfulness was a stimulus to us all. He will be remembered among us as one of the bravest men who laid down his life for King and Country. I can never forget his loving ways. We lived together like brothers and in his death I have lost my very best chum and friend". 

No comments:

Post a Comment