Kenneth Maclean, 8 Guershader

Pte Kenneth Maclean, Canadian Infantry, son of Mr M Maclean, 8 Guershader, was killed in action on 6 November 1917 in France. Writing to his mother, his lieutenant says:
"I regret very much to inform you of the death of your son. Kenneth was held in the highest esteem by the boys of no 12 and myself. He was instantly killed in the attack of 6/11/17, while going over to meet the enemy. He was properly buried by his own comreades. The boys of no 12 and myself wish you to accept our heartfelt sympathy. We were proud of your son".

His platoon sergeant wrote:
"I have a sad duty to perform in writing you this letter, but I think you'd like to know that Ken was amongst his chums and that we did all we could be done for him that night in the field. Ken often spoke to me about you and I know how much and how often he thought of his mother. He was in my section and a better soldier or more cheerful comrade never stepped. I know what a terrible blow this must be to you and send you my deepest sympathy on behalf of myself and his comrades."

No comments:

Post a Comment